Living Life...

I have always been fascinated by the idea of taking a one year break and doing some bit of soul searching...Unfortunately, professional India is still not very open to the idea, and frown upon even a well deserving maternity break ! In the recent past though, I have been increasingly toying with this idea of a break...

I keep going back and forth in my mind and my biggest fears about doing it, are not so much about whether I will be able to return to a great career (I believe, I have reached a stage in my career, where a one year break can be easily justified, in case I want to return to the exciting rat race!). I am worried about how society will perceive it - not in terms of measuring my self worth, which they anyway do, but rather in terms of respecting my time and freedom... I can almost hear people tell me "Oh, now that you are not having a job, you can come for this wedding!" - and I would hate it! ! !

The other more pressing worry is whether my wish for a break is an attempt at camouflaging my desire to run away from responsibilities and ownership and is a silly excuse for being plain lazy...Hubby, has been reassuring me otherwise, but I am still not convinced...I have often talked about friends who have generally not utilized their full potential in not very appreciative terms and I now look at myself with the very same critical attitude even when I am only contemplating a break...

In fact, there are a lot of things I want to do, which I cannot squeeze in with my current career + mom duties, and when I talk about them longingly, my hubby keeps urging me even more to take that 'much needed break'....I want to learn the piano, I want to learn a new language, I want to learn swimming, baking etc etc...and I want to travel the world with my son...Not the hectic London in one week kind of break that I did last year without my son( and every time I saw a cute baby, I would miss him so badly, that I wanted to do as much as possible in those 6 days - hubby at the end of the trip remarked, "Well, I saw almost all of London and Scotland, but I hardly saw YOU"). This time I want a rather liesurely break, where we see maybe one place a day and generally laze around otherwise....
I am realising more and more that the only priceless possession you have is Time, you can work hard and get more money, you can have a pleasing personality and have more relationships, but no matter what you do, you only have a fixed amount of time in your hands...and if you focus on just one aspect of your life, you just will not have time for anything else....

Comments

I like the changed look of the blog - more colour, and looks vibrant!

Take the break if you are convinced about it. I am waiting to taste the cakes! :-)
Tinkerbells said…
Anu, glad you liked the colour...now I need a salwar suit in that color ! I am not convinced, and there lies the problem !!! Hubby has tasted my first baking attempt and will happily offer you cake from a cake shop any day :P

Popular Posts