Corporate Learnings

I've always believed that you can learn something from everyone....even from your worst enemies, you can learn how not to behave !!! So here goes a quick list of lessons I have learned the hard way....

1. Ensure your team is well fed - In today's corporate world 12-16 hour work days are a norm rather than an exception. The least you can do, is to ensure that lunch and dinner is provided to your team on time. And yea, on time doesn't mean when YOU are hungry, it means when each person is hungry !!! Afterall, my stomach is far less sophisticated than my brain...so, even when I recognise you are the boss, my stomach doesn't ! And my brain IS totally controlled by my stomach.

2. Pass information at your own risk - Most people will not hesitate to use any information you provide to their advantage. So if you are saying something to someone, be prepared for the worst possible use of it...

3. Act !!! - The foundation stone of corporate world is built on what is called 'perception'. So act in a way that makes you acceptable. No one has the time or the patience to figure out the true you....

4. Trust - Read that as 'Act as if you trust' - remember previous point... Behave as if you trust your team, your colleagues and especially your boss. But in reality, be very very careful....The most dangerous people are the ruthlessly ambitious ones who will act as if they trust you and glean out information which will in no time be used to score brownie points at your behest...

Well these and more I have learned from my current firm...I hope these lessons stand me in good stead as I move on to a new city and a new job. I hope I have managed to learn my lessons without making myself too cynical...I hope I will not make the same mistakes I saw being made here...I hope I can still trust without being naive...I hope I can still genuinely love my team and care for their welfare like I have always done...I hope I can make a positive difference to my client...I also hope my efforts are recognized and I'm rewarded for it...

Comments

Leo said…
Nice change to the theme although what you create at the end of the year will probably be stellar.

Should one act in the way that makes himself or herself acceptable or act on the basis of their ethical/ moral standards?
Leo said…
Nice change to the theme although what you create at the end of the year will probably be stellar.

Should one act in the way that makes himself or herself acceptable or act on the basis of their ethical/ moral standards?
Tinkerbells said…
@leo: thnks !!!
well, I firmly believe in the latter (ethics and all)...but I have also learned my lesson that there are people who even more strongly believe in the former (do what is best for oneself) and you should be prepared to face them !!!
Princess Banter said…
I reckon that corporate life would be helluva lot easier without all the bureaucracy and office politics. It has become such a jungle out there!
Tinkerbells said…
@princess: welcome to my blog :)...yea u r right abt beureaucracy & politics...but sometimes i wonder...isn't corporate world a slice of the larger world?

Popular Posts