S for Son

Yea, my son's name starts with an S too...This one is for him. 

My Dearest S,

The last time I wrote a letter to you on this blog was quite a while ago. You have evolved from then on and so have I. Needless to say, our relationship has evolved too...You have turned out to be a loving and caring guy. You are a charmer like your dad and can hold an audience with your limitless repertoire of stories - your dimpled cheeks help too!. You enjoy travelling, are a foodie and love the good life ! Unlike me, you are not very fond of animals. Though you resemble your dad in looks and external behavior, you are my carbon copy at heart - a sensitive soul. 

Now that I have done the mandatory parental gloating about 'how my son is the best on earth', here is a bunch of anecdotes around which I hope we can have a great laugh 20 yrs down the lane.


Context: Teaching about plants to my son
Mom: sunflower always bends towards sunlight.
Doubtful son: So, if I keep a sunflower plant in the dark and shine two torches from opposite sides , then which side will the plant bend to ?
Mom's mental note to self: I need to search for my 3rd std science teacher. 



Context: Mom screaming around like a banshee thanks to a severe migraine.
Mom: Hubby dear, I definitely want a maid on Sundays, I can't do all the work !
Son : (before hubby could respond): Ayyo amma, please don't have a maid on Sundays.
Mom's puzzled look gets the following answer:
"My chicken curry on Sundays will disappear if the maid comes. I love your chicken curry!"
Mom's migraine vanished immediately :)

Context: Mom and son watching Om Shanti Oshana with entire family. Son is glued inside the movie.
Mom's eyes well up at the anguish of the protagonsit Pooja when she is unable to get the love of her life, despite doing everything she can...
Son's sudden jolt to reality: "Amma, why are you crying? You got to marry achan and got two kids also. Achan will never do this to you!"
Mom's sheepish thought to self in the midst of loud guffaws from hubby and parents: Thank God, it is home and not the theatre !


Sonny, dear,

The last instance will always be a sweet memory in my heart. I never thought that in the middle of an interesting movie, you would even notice what I was upto - you not only did notice, but also comforted me in a way only you can ! As I have written earlier, a child's love for its parent is far superior than the parent's love for the child....it is unblemished with prejudices !

smile emoticon

Comments

Popular Posts