The Week That Was...

…was quite hectic…Cousins from both sides decided to get married around the same time, so we are traveling from one end of the state to the other with last minute ticket bookings, a small child and an old grandmother…Add to this, a high pressure job and no maid at home…You will think this is a disaster, till you here something like this…

 

My mom had gone for a wedding (yea, this is marriage season in God's own country) and had just reached back after a nearly 2 hour drive… She was describing meeting her cousins and kids after a long time…And we receive a call saying said cousins and kids are no more…They were killed instantly in a road accident on the way back from the wedding…Leaving behind broken families…For me personally, it seemed so surreal, that my mom was talking about them in the present tense and within a minute had to talk about them in the past tense…

 

On a lighter note, both hubby and self read Chetan Bhagat's "Two States"…my takeaway was that, maybe I should have had hubby in b-school with me…would have been royal fun! Hubby's takeaway .."Thank God, you come from the same state, religion, caste et all…" Goes to show how different we are!

 

And that statement from hubby made me think…"Does it really make a difference?" I was an idealistic teenager who thought that only love matters…Then I became more practical and started feeling that maybe it is easier if families are on talking terms as well…But these days, I feel that even if everything matches, ultimately it is two individuals trying to live together…you can either keep count and create problems or you can be tolerant and be happy…'cos finally even if you both worship the same set of Gods, you can always keep a count of how many times you visited my family temple vis-à-vis your family temple…Of course, there is a thin line between being tolerant and bending backwards…

 

Another thing that has been occupying my mindspace was my kid's playschool admissions…This reached a state of panic when a relative informed that her kid is studying in some prestigious school in B'lore in a merit seat…I was hearing the concept of merit and payment seats for playschool for the first time and was curious…Seems she quit her job to coach her 2 year old son to effectively deliver A-Z and 1 to 100 as well as frame a story from a picture book…Someone else proudly told me about their son being able to identify all vegetables by name…And here I was beaming with pride that my son could say "two,two, three three, ten" …that's how he counts… he does not know one, so will wait for you to pick up his first block, and then he will pick the second and say two, and after three he goes straight to ten…The only alphabet he knows is C and the only vegetable he knows is cucu…Anyway, after some furious thought I decided, I don't want my son  earning a merit seat to playschool and since he would go to KG only by 2012, I have decided not to think about playschool at least for the next six months…

Comments

Popular Posts