Money Vs Principles

Are your principles only valid as long as the weather is fair? For example, it is lofty to say that one will always speak the truth, but the strength of the principle is manifested when one has something to hide and still chooses the truth. We all have varying degrees of righteousness, and we justify ourselves into believing that our comfort zone is the perfect balance - anything lesser is immoral and unethical and anything more is idealistic and self-defeating ! And then, there is the classic question of "If your loved one is in a life/death situation, will you bribe the doctor?".

My personal stance on it is that each person can define his/her own limits and I don't feel anyone more stringent (than me) in their definitions are at a moral high ground, nor do I look down at others with a more relaxed attitude to life...However, one thing that I abhor is double standards...that is, if you have one set of values for self and another set for other people...Like for example, you find it perfectly alright to shout at someone, but the moment someone shouts at you, you act wounded and hurt...or you say that I don't bitch about one person to the other and then promptly go ahead and do it anyway...

Now on to the title - what do you do when you are faced with someone whom you are dependent on for some reason, but whose double standards pisses you off royally...When someone tries to bully you emotionally - do you suffer them in silence?Or do you be zen like in your acceptance of their behaviour? Or do you grit your teeth and hold your principles and move away from them? I would really love to choose the last option, however I need the money my job gives me and for me to keep my job I am dependent on a whole host of emotional bullies...Its easy to say that you can live on a reduced income but practically not always feasible...

And its at times like these that I, who was a staunch supporter of anti-dowry marriages, now wish I got married with a big fat dowry (ok, you may go ahead and call it the politically correct "wedding gift") ...

There is a saying in my native tongue that when loosely translated means "The wealth of knowledge is more important than all other wealths" ...But, knowledge, unless its put to use in a job cannot feed mouths, but money in a bank can let you do that without sacrificing on quality time with your son and hubby...Right now, I guess I prefer the latter...


I have come to realize that though money can't buy everything....it can buy more things than I initially thought it could - peace of mind, sense of self worth and independence are just a few... Afterall, even a yoga class these days costs money :P

Comments

Popular Posts