Babies...

Just some random thoughts and incidents to remind me of this period in my life 20 years hence...
1. Feeding: F-I-L: "Babies are lazy creatures, you have to wake them up and feed them. Else they'll sleep through their hunger."
M-I-L: "No baby will starve himself to death. He will wake up when he wants his feed."
Random self professed expert (RSPE): "Give him a bottle at night, so that you can sleep peacefully."

2. Maternity leave: F-I-L (who is an employer of several women): "As an employer giving maternity leave is a costly proposition."
M-I-L: "Why don't you consider extending your leave for some more time?"
RSPE: "Kids will grow by themselves. Send him to a creche."

By the way, like all new moms, I was cursing myself for not ever considering a govt. job as an option during my career search, when I heard about the new maternity and childcare benefits announced for Central Govt. employees... A healthy discussion can be found here.

3. Kajal: M-I-L: " Everyone including the pead in our hospital says that unless you apply kajal, the baby won't have eyebrows."

Next day, I go to the hospital for my baby's shots and the pead gives me a pamphlet on child care with this advice "Applying kajal is not healthy."

When experts (both F-I-L and M-I-L are doctors) themselves are divided on what's best for baby, what am I to do? Trust my instincts ???

Comments

Popular Posts